This soup is one of my favourites in the summer when the courgettes are plentiful – it’s really quick to make, full of nutritious green veg, kids love it (or at least mine do!), and it’s vegan.
Courgette and basil soup
- Generous glug of vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and roughly chopped
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 300g frozen petit pois
- 200g spinach leaves, washed
- 1.4 ltrs vegetable stock
- 30g basil leaves
- Salt and black pepper
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan, then add the garlic and saute it over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened and aromatic.
- Add the courgette and saute for a few minutes longer, before adding the frozen peas, followed by the stock, and the spinach leaves. Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until the courgette is tender.
- Remove it from the heat, add the basil and then puree either in a liquidiser or with a stick blender until smooth.
- Season well with salt and black pepper. Serve piping hot, with a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over each serving.